For Librarians, Children’s Services Staff, Early Childhood Educators and those who work with children and families:
Babytime: Programming for the Very Young
In this hands-on workshop, attendees will learn how to prepare and deliver a literacy-based story time for infants, toddlers and their parents/caregivers. With a focus on ages 0-24 months, participants will;
- discuss early child development and explore ways to incorporate sensory experiences in to their programming
- discuss story selection and try out other methods of story telling
- share rhymes, songs and finger plays
- discover ways to incorporate story props and parachute play
Expanding the Traditional Storytime
This interactive workshop will provide practical experience in planning and implementing story times for preschoolers. You’ll explore creating literacy and experience-rich programming using an innovative approach to planning that includes; language, numeracy, music, art, movement and science activities.With a focus on ages 3-5, participants will:
- discuss book selection and discover ways to extend and expand new and classic titles;
- discuss the basic elements of a program and how to enhance it by providing a wider variety of activities inspired by all areas of a child’s development;
- explore ideas to jazz up programs, find new enthusiasm and energy
I would love to visit your library or childcare centre and work with your staff!
For information regarding workshops, and other available presentations please contact me:
“Jen did a wonderful job presenting information. She is a dynamic presenter with a great deal of knowledge, and her ideas will surely help me in my own story time programs”
“I would follow this presenter anywhere, I could listen to her ideas forever”
“Jen is very passionate about her topic and it shows. One of the best workshops ever. Participation was great and everyone was comfortable.”
“Very informative and inspiring…I am seeing story time with fresh eyes!”
“Really enjoyed it and it has inspired me to be a better programmer. Jen was fantastic.”
“Very practical with ideas that I can take back to library and use. New approach to planning story times is very exciting”
Jen is a Children’s Programmer and Senior Library Assistant in a Public Library. A graduate of an Early Childhood Education program in 1997, she plans and implements a variety of programs for children and their families.Before joining the library, Jen was an Indigo Kids Advisor and Event Planner for Indigo Books & Music. While there, she assisted in developing a training plan for kid’s specialists, provided reviews and reader’s advisory support to the Kids & Teen Editors, and arranged and facilitated author/book and children’s events.
As a Children’s Programmer, Jen loves that she is able to combine her passion for children’s literature, singing, and working with children of all ages.